The first annual school meeting of the Bay Head District #1, Borough of Bay Head, was held on March 20, 1900 at the Bay Head Borough Hall. Mrs. J.M. McCredy was hired as teacher for the one room school house, which taught grades 1-8. The original school and outhouse were 2-3 lots down from the present Bay Head Elementary School location. In 1907, grades 6-8 had to be sent to Point Pleasant Beach School. In 1911, the school was enlarged to include grades up to 8th. In 1930, a new school was built and stands today.
Today, the building has 12 classrooms including a recently completed full gymnasium, cafeteria, and computer lab. There is a school library which is separate from the main building. Major remodeling projects completed in 2010 and 2016 included a new handicap accessible atrium and entranceway, new windows, A/C, heating, carpets, phone/PA system, and ceilings.
Bay Head Elementary School … Today!
Bay Head School offers sporting opportunities such as a girls softball team, boys and girls basketball teams, boys and girls soccer teams, and tennis team. Wrestling and baseball are offered as cooperative teams with the Point Beach School District. Students may also choose to participate in the following events or activities: student council, homework club, safety patrol, or garden club. Our school has set up a program titled Positive Partners in which upper grade students are paired up with lower grade students. The students do activities with their buddies throughout the school year. This helps promote good character for all of the students.
We have a well-attended aftercare program run by our staff through 5:30 pm each day school is in session. Students complete homework, get extra-help, and have the opportunity to socialize through play and games. Our aftercare program is pay as you go which affords parents the flexibility of having your child attend as needed.
We have a full day kindergarten program and all students from kindergarten through eighth grade participate in art, music, Spanish and physical education classes on a regular basis.
The Middle School level grades are departmentalized in the following subject areas:
- Social Studies
- Language Arts
There are 6 levels of math for these students. They are Math I, Math II, Math III, Pre-Algebra, Algebra and Transitional Geometry.
Things to Know About Our School
- The school currently has 129 students grade K-8.
- We have a student 1:1 laptop program with Apple Macbook Air’s for the 6-8th grades.
- Google Chromebooks are available to all the students in grades 1-5 via carts with enough machines to allow each student to work independently.
- 5th grade students are assigned a Macbook Air to use in the classroom.
- We have Smart Boards and Smart Responders available to grades K-5 plus language arts which affords the teachers a technology platform to engage the students in the classroom.
- Grades 6-8 have large, flat-screen monitors mounted to complement the Apple Macbooks.
- Teachers maintain grades through administrative software (Genesis) which allows parents of 4th-8th grades daily grade/assignment score updates via the web.
- We have a full-time kindergarten program staffed with teacher and aide.
- Our nurse is a certified Registered Nurse.
- We have two tennis courts, soccer field and playground.
- Every class goes on a minimum of two trips per year sponsored by a very active Home and School Association.
- We offer different afterschool clubs and activities each year which are subsidized by Home and School Assoc.
- Bay Head School also accepts non-residential students.
- Music Instrumental Lessons/Vocal (1x/ wk Grades 4-8)
- Basic Skills Instruction (Grades K-8)
- Spanish Program (Grades K-8)
- Guidance and Counseling Services (Grades K-8)
- Technology-integrated daily throughout curriculum
- 1:1 Laptop Program grades 6-8
- Smartboards all classrooms K-5 plus language arts